The ramblings of a freelance writer, novelist and avid reader.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Month of Fundays: Day 7 – Movie in the Park

Text message to Amy: You don’t want a peanut. Boo!
Response message: I suck! Were there rocks ahead?

At the time I sent today’s text (Last night’s message, OK. Now you all know I write about the fun thing the day after I do it. Magic spoiled!), Chris and I were sitting on blankets in the middle of Victory Memorial Drive Park (which is just some green space in the boulevard of said Drive) waiting for The Princess Bride to appear on screen. Amy was supposed to be there. Matt & Mara and Stacy & Elliott were trying to find babysitters so they could join us, but in the end it was just the two of us - Date Night. Chris was a good sport about the whole thing. He doesn’t much go in for sitting on the ground for that length of time and I swear one of the reasons I married him is because the mosquitoes don’t attack me when he’s around. But, The Princess Bride! I can’t quantify my favorite movie (or book, or song), but this one ranks in the top 10. About 15 minuets before the movie was due to start, the man inflating the portable movie screen walked up to the crowd – including 20 girls between the ages of 6 and 10 celebrating a birthday – and told us the movie was canceled for the night due to a storm front coming through. I had to feel sorry for the poor man because 20 girls at a birthday party, hyped up on sugar and the possibility of staying up late, can be a feral, angry mob. Luckily he was met with mostly shouts of, “NO!” and angry foot stomping…from me, at least. The girls attacked like wild dogs. And that was my fun day!

Or, disappointment abounded – except from my husband – whose legs were cramping up already) but we all managed to leave the park without incident or injury. The birthday party was wrangled with hopes of Red Box and pizza dancing in their heads, Chris had everything packed and in the car before I could stand up, and we returned home without my funday activity for the day.

Rolling with the punches, we made it home and laid our blankets out again on the living room floor, grabbed the kettle corn and m&ms and popped The Princess Bride into the blu-ray. It wasn’t quite the same as a movie in the park or on a rooftop, but we still managed to have fun and enjoy a favorite movie. As a side note: Chris told me it was a good thing we didn’t see the movie in the park because I’m pretty sure I can recite it verbatim and apparently, I was speak/whispering along during most of it. Oops.

I would like to point out that had Amy and Stacy joined us in the park and the movie was a go, then I would not be alone in the speak/whispering. In fact, I’m guessing we would have been quite obnoxious. This is the problem with having the same two friends since the first grade – you’ve sat around many a sleepover watching The Princess Bride whilst reciting all of the lines. Or, even better: Your first year of college – when you’re all discombobulated and the new-fangled internets are actually both new and fangled – you receive an email with an attachment from one of your best friends. The attachment is a transcript of the screenplay to The Princess Bride. It becomes lame when you sit in the computer room at your college wasting valuable computer time by reading the entire transcript; but somewhere inside you know this growing up thing isn’t all about change. You do get to keep some friends and some habits from before.


Movie in the park or movie in your living room, as long as the movie and the company are good, I’d say it’s a fun day!

I think it’s quite possible to do one of those everything-I-need-to-know-about-life-I-learned-from things – Princess Bride-style. It would look something like this:

Good, then pour the wine – I do not envy the headache you’ll have when you wake, but in the meantime: dream of large women – I do not think it means what you think it means – If there are rocks ahead, we really will all be dead – Aristotle, Socrates, and Plato are all morons – My way is not very civilized – Life is pain; anyone who tells you different is selling something – We have already succeeded – Get some rest. If you haven’t got your health, you haven’t got anything – Clearly, you have a dizzying intellect – Now, was that so terrible? – Lies do not become us – There's not a lot of money in revenge - Always count the wheelbarrow and the holocaust cloak amongst your list of assets – Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line – The Dread Pirate Roberts never takes prisoners – Stand your ground – You mocked me once, never do it again – When I say you're a coward, that is only because you are the slimiest weakling to ever crawl the earth - Have fun storming the castle – I am never wrong – You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles - Marriage is a blessed arrangement; a dream within a dream – Death cannot stop true love; all it can do is delay it a while – Someday you may not mind the kissing parts so much – As you wish

Picture: Um. You’re picnic spread, the people watching whatever movie you see outside (free movies bring out all types and kinds), your favorite childhood birthday party. Or, just tell me about your favorite birthday party. What movie did you go see?

Song: The Foundation’s “Build Me Up, Buttercup”

Apparently Morgan Burke, McFly and Busted do covers of the song in this clip.

Tomorrow: Origami – Learning to Make Something Out of Paper

No comments:

Post a Comment