The ramblings of a freelance writer, novelist and avid reader.

Friday, August 26, 2011

A Month of Fundays: Day 22 – Go Play in a Playground

If you want to do something that will make you grin until your face hurts and laugh uncontrollably, then go play in a playground today. Swing on a swing set, climb a jungle gym, teeter on a teeter-totter, or dangle on the monkey-bars – any of these things will make your day. I still can’t stop smiling.

Again, this is one of those nostalgic funday things. I’ve decided I must be taking the month to get into that childlike innocence mindset for my own book writing. There’s one school playground on my walk home from the part-time job-hobby and then another two playgrounds within a 5 minute walk from my house. I don’t think I’ve ever taken the time to notice just how prolific the playground is in my neighborhood. Is it that way in every neighborhood? How many of you live by run-down playgrounds – which are very sad things but also eerily evocative for some reason.

What else have I noticed?

Well, since it is the summer, I’ve noticed mostly teenagers and adults using the playground equipment. Yes, some of them brought their children or are chaperoning, but I think this is just an excuse to have a swing or a teeter. I did feel a little self conscious without a child and seriously thought about seeing if my niece wanted to come over so we could go play in the playground together. Maybe that sharing the playground experience is part of the nostalgia. When I walk home with school in session, the playground is full of kids at recess and teachers with megaphones watching over them – even then, the teachers seem a little wistful.


Surprisingly, the playground is a good date night with your husband/significant other. We had a blast. And again with the never-ending laughter and goofy grins, we couldn’t stop. However, be careful of the merry-go-round thing. Chris is notorious for fast-spinning until I get nauseous. DO NOT go on the Mad-Hatter Tea Cups at Disney World with anyone in his family. You are asking for trouble and at least two hours of dizziness afterwards.



Picture: Your favorite playground apparatus. Your smile after a little bit of play time. My face still hurts.

Song: I’m going to have to go with a guilty pleasure song; one that makes me smile goofy just like swinging on a swing: Len’s “Steal my Sunshine”. Also, for some reason Sixpence None the Richer’s “Kiss Me” is stuck in my head - the some reason is the “swing, swing, swing the spinning step” lyric. Oh, and also the “swing me upon its hanging tire” lyric. See, it totally makes sense.

Tomorrow: Go for a Bike Ride

No comments:

Post a Comment