The ramblings of a freelance writer, novelist and avid reader.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Month of Fundays: Day 26 – Boating, Tubing, Paddle Boating, Kayaking, Canoeing, or a Water Sport

Yes, Minnesota is a land-locked state somewhere near the middle and top of the country; and yet, we are “The Land of 10,000 Lakes”, as I’ve mentioned before. So for a place without any seashore, we certainly have a lot of shoreline. All sorts of activities in and around the lakes during the summer are a must for fun – in fact, there are too many to count. There must be something fun for everyone to do today.

That being said: I spent 6 years on my high school synchronized swim team and 1 year student coaching the thing – I know how to swim; and I grew up fishing with my grandpa off of his pontoon attached to the house’s dock; yet I still think canoes and kayaks are too tippy and I’m not a water skier at all. I’m way too klutzy. This leaves me with paddle boating or tubing down the Apple River. I can’t think of a better summertime experience then lazing down a river with a book, some lemonade and nothing but time. The Apple River is a little too crowded and … lover’s lane for my taste, though. Yes, I am old.

Leaving me with the funday activity of paddle boating. No fast speedboats here with the wind in my hair and the music from the boat next to me thrumming through my veins. Nope, lackadaisical is my modus operandi this month and the paddle boat wins hands down.

Picture something like this:


Sorry, once the Disney is uncorked, there’s no telling what may appear on the blog.

Yay, fun with the paddle boats! Again, I couldn’t stop smiling…and laughing. I discovered I’m not very good at steering a paddle boat – but it’s not like I’m going to hit someone, right? Well, possibly the birds around the fountain thing in the middle of Centennial Lakes. And I was worried about the old men with their radio controlled sail boats – they looked expensive and I didn’t want to break one (an old man or a boat). But once you get over the fear of paddle boat hit and run, the happy times are bountiful. Embrace your inner geekiness – I’m sure I looked utterly ridiculous out there. It was AWESOME!

We topped off the paddle boat excursion with a Jamba Juice and a round of mini-golf so not a bad day at all, at all.

If you live near water and you haven’t been out on it this summer, then go, play. Have fun. What are you waiting for?

Picture: So many choices. Make sure your picture includes water.

Song: This was hard today. I ended up with Enya’s “Orinoco Flow” and The Beach Boys’ “Catch a Wave”.

Tomorrow: Garden Party or Barbeque

No comments:

Post a Comment