The ramblings of a freelance writer, novelist and avid reader.

Monday, August 22, 2011

A Month of Fundays: Day 17 – Discovering Waterfalls by Day and Searching Stars by Night

Today almost entirely consisted of hiking up and down the Northern shoreline. I’m not sure why I think I need to be so active when I’m on vacation. I’m a much lazier person in my own home. Besides each other, I think Chris and I talked to a total of five people today; the day was really just about us and the scenery. Why do I love MN? This is why!






I talked to a park ranger at Cascade River State Park today. She was incredible. I went into the park ranger station to ask for a trail map; it always helps to not get lost when you are tromping through the woodsy wilderness. She highlighted a four mile loop she liked and then told us where to go for a picnic lunch and a cool down after the hike. Sweet fancy Scottish Jesus in a kilt was she helpful! She also mentioned the blue “hiking club” signs posted along the route – something that came in handy on the backside of the loop which was much more like a deer path than a hiking trail.

Yes! We didn’t get lost, poison-ivied or mauled by a bear because of stupendous park ranger lady.


When asked the question: Beach or mountains? I will ALWAYS choose mountains. I’m a sucker for the forest, lake, mountain trail type of thing. The woods are lovely, dark and deep! Rock scrambles? FUN! Mountain biking? FUN! Swimming in a giant lake? FUN! Reading on a big pile of rocks or cliff top? FUN! Talking to only my husband all day about who-even-remembers-anymore? FUN! So, you get the idea now. Today was FUN!


What’s more, tonight was also fun! Our lodge has a camp fire circle and free S’mores fixings, our room has a hot tub and Aurora-Borealis was paying a visit to the mountain top. SO COOL! We spent some time stargazing from the balcony of our room. Stars are much bigger and brighter if you can get out from the city lights.

And can I just say the North Woods of MN smell like nothing else in the entire world. I want to bottle their aroma; it is pine and lake and campfire and something that reminds me of rain through a screen and the first snowfall of the year all rolled up into one. I quite possibly used up the rest of the month’s fun quota today, but I’m willing to keep trying to have fun every day through August.

No, it wasn’t a snowy evening, but this poem was in my head all day whilst walking through the woods. I’m quite the Robert Frost fan during my month of fundays.


Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
By Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.


My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.


Picture: Perhaps I overdid it on the pictures today. Whatever you’d like: You’re favorite painting (PS – Starry Night is one of mine), a waterfall, tree-scape, or night sky picture.

Song: My first thought is Glen Miller’s “Moonlight Serenade” but I also have Don McLean’s “Vincent (Starry, Starry Night)” stuck in my head. I’m beginning to wonder what’s wrong with me in the music selection-sphere. I must not listen to anything new. “Vincent” makes me think of one of my favorite artists and what beauty “insanity” can create. Also, it makes me think of that one Doctor Who episode from season 5. SO GOOD! Yes, my TV show choices do rank right up there with my music selections. This is me, people. This is me.



Tomorrow: We’re Going to the Zoo

No comments:

Post a Comment