The ramblings of a freelance writer, novelist and avid reader.

Friday, August 12, 2011

A Month of Fundays: Day 12 – Go to a Sporting Event

I love the idea of summer baseball games outside, so I can imagine this is a fun activity for most. If my facebook news feed has anything to say about it, it’s a fun activity for pretty much all of my facebook friends. I want to like it, I really do. I just don’t. When I first drew up my list of funday ideas, I thought: Huh, that sounds fun. Peanuts and Cracker Jacks and MN’s still new ball field for the Twins. I should go to a game.
And then I realized that I don’t like peanuts or Cracker Jacks…or hot dogs…or beer…or the game of baseball. So maybe it wouldn’t be fun for me, but it still sounds so happy and…American. The crack of the bat, the roar of the crowd…sorry, I went to a NewsRadio place there.



I love YouTube. Yes, that episode. And valuable writing lessons too: You do have to take away some of those wonderful words now and again.

I think for a fun day activity any sport is up for grabs – watching it or playing it. In the last blog post I mentioned I’m not a team sport kind of girl. I think that goes for both watching and playing sports. The exception is ice hockey – I’m from MN after all. I get it though, the whole sports fandom. If you don’t know how fanatical I am about tennis, then look no further. I’m pretty sure I kept the sports themed activity in the mix because the US Open starts on August 29. But as much fun as me watching tennis on my TV screen – or iPod and computer as I don’t have cable – would be, I’ve decided to play the sports card early and talk about my niece’s swim meet.

My niece likes to swim! That’s awesome all on its own – because swimming is something I get; it’s a sport I can watch, enjoy and actually discuss with her. Also, I think it is more fun to participate in the sporting event for your fun day activity. I don’t know why participating as a fan in the crowd is better than participating as a fan at home, watching or listening to something far away; it just is. Back to the swim meet. Kayla is going into the 3rd grade next year and I think she’s only been taking lessons for 3 or 4 years. She’s a natural – and that’s not just the proud aunt in me talking; she is a joy to watch. Move over Michael Phelps. I’m holding out for the 2016 Olympics, especially after her dad told me it was too late for the 2012 Olympics.

Sitting in the humid and chlorine-filled Apple Valley Middle School pool today, I had feelings of nostalgia – remembering sights, sounds and smells will do that – followed by feelings of maternal pride. I’m not sure I’ve ever realized – if I have kids – I’m going to be one of THOSE mothers. At one point during her final race – the 50m freestyle – I found myself screaming, “Swim Kayla! Take out those 6th grade girls; you’re better than them!” She did, she is and she won. But I should probably not be screaming that at a family friendly event with the parents of those same 6th grade girls sitting near me. It’s really not my fault. She was in the middle lane; it was exciting!

Having fun and learning a little something about yourself – that’s really what this Month of Fundays project is all about. Go, me! Go, all of you! (Said in my best cheerleader voice with hand clap and raised fist move.)

Picture: The sporting event you’re attending. A picture of your favorite sport, or a sport you play.

Song: Um, it’s a blog about sports so I’m going to have to leave you with a little classic Queen: “We are the Champions”. One day my song choices might break into this decade…or the last decade even.

Tomorrow: Putting Together a Jigsaw Puzzle

No comments:

Post a Comment