The ramblings of a freelance writer, novelist and avid reader.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Denseness Strikes Again

No really, when did I become so dim-witted? On the heels of my Owl City man vs. group snafu I have yet more brainless news to report. I just figured out – seriously, there was a cartoon light bulb flashing on above my head and everything – that vlog brother John is in actuality John Green the YA author I’m much enamored with. How did I not figure this out before now?!

But you already knew that didn’t you, smart blog followers [insert deep sigh here].
Fine, I guess I’ll go lament my oldness and lameness by myself.

Meanwhile…

If you haven’t read John Green then I recommend Looking for Alaska or Will Grayson, Will Grayson because they are my favorites. If you haven’t seen the Vlog Bros. then you’re missing out.

Here is John’s most recent grammar rant:


HP Tuesday will follow here shortly.

5 comments:

  1. You should hang out with me more. I'll get you edumacated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love John Green. I love absolutely everything of his that I have read and have been looking forward to reading Will Grayson, Will Grayson, but it is not yet available at my local library and I have neither the money nor the shelf space to be expanding my YA novel collection. It's truly sad.

    Also, I had not known he had a vlog, so this post has been most informative for me, I have much to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the risk you take spending hours writing in a book store - when I take a break I tend to check out what's new in YA and when I picked up Will Grayson, Will Grayson I couldn't put it down. So now it's joined MY overflowing YA bookshelf. You will love it Anna!

    And yes T, I should hang out with you more for so many reasons; oh, wise one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna is coming on our trip to the British Isles next summer, so--even though you were talking to Tukechilla(?), you will get to hang out with Anna, too :)

    I think the Vlogbrothers is one of the only Vlogs worth following.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love as savior has been a recurring motif in the series. From Lily’s sacrifice for her son to Severus’s willingness to perform unconscionable acts—killing Dumbledore and severing Fred’s ear—out of a sense of devotion and duty, from Dobbie’s forfeiture of his life for Harry to Tonks’s and Fleur’s willingness to see past their menfolks’ wolvishness, Rowling clearly lays out love as a shield that protects and empowers. However, we do see love as double-edged. Like Peter Parker and Mary Jane, Harry breaks up with Ginny out of fear that their relationship could be used against him in his quest. Xenophilius Lovegood belies his own (Greek origin) name to get his darling daughter back. Even the non-human Kreacher conveys the perversion of a twisted, Stockholm-syndrome type of affection for his deceased mistress. Other examples demonstrate the pain of love itself. Unfortunately, Merope’s crush on Tom Riddle, Senior was unrequited, as is Bellatrix’s adoration for Tom Riddle, Junior. Dumbledore's love for Grindelwald and for the kinship of an equally great mind blinded the headmaster's otherwise expansive generosity of spirit. In this novel, love becomes more ambivalent in its power than previous books would suggest. Love is a weapon that must be deployed with caution, care, and collective sympathy.

    ReplyDelete